Friday, April 22, 2005

Busy times...

Lots has happened since my last post. I started my last rotation in medical school (yee-haw!!), went to Atlanta to take the clinical skills portion of Step 2 boards, visited family on the way back, and finally sold the house (probably).
I am working in a family practice clinic right now, and my decision to go into a faster paced field like EM is validated daily. The continuity of care is pretty nice, as I 've only worked 6 shifts and I've already seen several patients twice. 2/3 of our visits have been allergies this past week. The Ohio Valley is the allergy capital of the universe. Today seemed to be non-descript rash day. Steroids anyone?
The clinical skills exam was a long, miserable day. I see now why some great students are failing. It is a totally subjective exam, focusing on a preset checklist that the fake patients have, and in many ways resembles a real visit not at all. I went down with my buddy Jason, and we made it an OK time.
He was kind enough to stop by for 2 days in a town called Rome, about 75 miles or so from Atlantaand accompany me while I visited all my parents brothers and sisters. He is a great friend. I was semi-miserable, and I know he was dying, but he didn't utter a peep. I did get to see my cousin Haley, who I named my first daughter after,(and who I had the secret hots for as a child) and that was great. The rest of my family down there is.....unique to say the least.
We sold the house the day I left for Georgia, contingent on passing the dreaded home inspection tomorrow. That's one less thing, at least. Now we can buy a place in San Antonio when we go down in a couple of weeks.
I can't believe the move is coming so soon! It's getting really nerve-wracking, and I think Tobi's giving herself an ulcer. I know everything will fall into place, but it sucks having to pull my family 1200 miles from their entire support system and then do the dreaded intern year, where I will be basically absent. That is weighing on me pretty badly. It's too late to change things now, so I hope we can pull together as a family and make an adventure out of it. After all, there are worse places than San Antonio!
Well that catches me up to today...will write soon!
Steve
Viva el Alamo!!

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blogarama - The Blog Directory
������« ? EmergiBlogs # ������»